ShareTracker has been watching the coronavirus updates through the lens of streaming video and wanted to share the research and information we found.
Top 3 Things To Know
Here are three points about COVID-19 impacts/benefits to streaming TV:
- Streaming has increased of course.
- Streaming video usage is increasing and bandwidth is becoming an issue in Europe, companies are defaulting from HD quality to SD (Netflix & YouTube)
- Cancellation of live sports decreasing demand for vMVPDs and traditional PAYTV/Satellite, a boon for SVODs. As consumers become more cost-conscious, SVODs offer lower prices and more specialized content.
Here are a few measures that Streaming Providers have taken lately to help during the COVID-19 crisis.
- Showtime and EPIX offerings – many traditional providers (AT&T, Comcast, Charter) are offering free Showtime and/or EPIX
- YouTube TV (vMVPD) – EPIX free through 4/25
- Charter (PAYTV) – Showtime & EPIX no additional charge through 4/19
- Comcast (PAYTV) – On-demand catalogs for Showtime and EPIX
- Verizon (PAYTV) – Free access to Showtime, EPIX and Gaiam TV Fit and Yoga starting 4/1
- AT&T (PAYTV – U-verse or DTV Sat) – rolling offers
- Showtime through 3/26
- Starz 3/26 through 4/2
- EPIX 4/2 through 4/16
- HBO 4/17 through 4/20
- Early cinematic releases to streaming:
- Universal Pictures releases films direct to streaming https://www.marketplace.org/2020/03/17/movie-studios-release-movies-straight-streaming-covid19/
- Disney launched Frozen 2 early on Disney+
- Extending Free Trial periods: https://www.latimes.com/entertainment-arts/tv/story/2020-03-17/coronavirus-tv-streaming-free-trial-deals
- Sling TV (vMVPD) – (see below for more detail) offering 14-day trial (usually 7 days) for highest tier, no credit card required.
- Acorn TV (SVOD, British, Australian and Canadian TV)– 30-day trial available (usually 7 days)
- CBS All Access – 30-day trial available (usually 7 days)
COVID-19 measures from PAYTV/Streaming providers, ongoing:
- Sling Blue (the highest tier) free for 14 days, no credit card required
- Free News service on “Free SlingTV Tier” – https://www.fiercevideo.com/video/sling-tv-launches-free-live-news-service-amid-covid-19-crisis
- Not terminate the service of any wireless, home phone or broadband residential or small business customer because of their inability to pay their bill due to disruptions caused by the coronavirus pandemic.
- Waive any late payment fees that any wireless, home phone or broadband residential or small business customer may incur because of economic hardship related to the coronavirus pandemic.
- (NEW) Waive domestic wireless plan overage charges for data, voice or text for residential or small business wireless customers incurred because of economic hardship related to the coronavirus pandemic.
- Keep public AT&T Wi-Fi hotspots open for anyone who needs them.
- All AT&T consumer home internet wireline customers, as well as Fixed Wireless Internet, can use unlimited internet data.
- Expanded eligibility to Access from AT&T to households participating in the National School Lunch Program and Head Start.
- New Access from AT&T customers two months of free service.
- Free Showtime – https://www.fiercevideo.com/cable/at-t-and-charter-offer-free-showtime-during-covid-19-outbreak
- WiFi Hotspots open for public use
- New free access to internet and WiFi for 60 days for new Pre-K to 12, a college student and teacher households who don’t currently have internet or WiFi service.
- No service termination for 60 days for residential or small business customers who face difficult economic circumstances related to the COVID-19 pandemic.
- No late fees for those customers facing difficult economic circumstances related to the pandemic.
- Eliminated data caps or hidden fees.
- Free Showtime & EPIX until 4/19 – https://www.spectrum.net/support/tv/access-showtime-epix-channel
- Unlimited Data for everyone (elimination of 1TB data caps for all customers for 60 days)
- Internet Essentials free for new low-income customers for 60 days
- No Disconnects or late fees
- Free Showtime, EPIX, Curiosity Stream + more
- Waived late fees/overage/activation and upgrade fees
- 15GB high-speed data for wireless & small business
- Starting 4/1 FIOS TV customers will get access to 30 days of premium channels at no additional cost (Showtime, EPIX, Gaiam Fit & Yoga). Wireless and FIOS customers will get up to 60 days free access to educational resources
To follow the latest developments in the telecom industry from COVID-19 follow us on LinkedIn, Twitter, and Facebook, or drop us an email at email@example.com. You can always visit us at ShareTracker as well.